11.22.2015

PEI Lila

During our trip to Prince Edward Island this summer, we made a few stops at various family farms, as well as one of the mills on the island. Believe it or not, PEI has not one, but two fiber mills on the island. The one we got to go to was called Belfast Mini Mills, which is a producer of smaller mills that are sold and operated all around the world. They operate a mill on site, where they process and spin a number of gorgeous yarns. I was blown away by the selection and could have spent hours there (Jake is such a good sport). I picked up a good amount of yarn, and have earmarked most of it for projects already. First up was this incredibly gorgeous natural colored wool, called Homespun. 


This line of yarn is made from the wool of the sheep that live on the farm where the mill is. It honestly doesn't get more local than that. And the price couldn't be beat - each skein was $8 (Canadian), which means I got enough for a sweater for less than $40 US. I knew immediately it needed to be a Lila.

Jesse and I were already planning to do another KAL and knit up Lila together, and this yarn was just perfect for it. We finished our sweaters about a month ago, but with the time change, photos just haven't been as easy to take. We braved the cold weather (it was about 30 degrees F when we took these, with 20 mph winds!) and went on a hike this weekend, so I took advantage of the beautiful scenery and had Jake snap some photos.


This wool is a heavy worsted, which made my gauge off a little. I followed instructions for the 32.25" bust to give myself a 34-35", which was just the right amount of positive ease. I seriously haven't stopped wearing this since I finished it last month - full disclosure: I haven't even blocked it! That's how little I've taken it off since binding off.



I added about 2 inches in length, both in the body & sleeves, and I'm really happy I did. 



This is my favorite kind of sweater. A great neutral pullover, with a special story behind it. Another matching sweater with my wonderful friend, made from yarn born, raised, and spun on beautiful Prince Edward Island. I could fill my wardrobe with sweaters like this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment