7.17.2012

Making A House A Home: Ombré Chevron Wall

One of my favorite things about moving into our first house has been making it a home. So I thought I'd start a little series called "Making A House A Home". Here I'll share some projects I've taken on to make our little house more homey and personalized. Hope you enjoy!

When we moved in, we were lucky enough that we only had to paint one room. The walls in the house were painted nice, clean colors and there was just no reason to paint over them. Something I knew I wanted in the living room though was a subtle pop of color to make it a little more interesting. I thought about painting one wall, or two walls, but ultimately decided to paint a design.


(Ignore that hole in the wall up there. When we moved in there was a wall sconce there, but while we were having some electrical work, it was found that the wires didn't actually connect to anything. So now we just have a hole in the wall that we need to patch. We'll get to it eventually...)

I was initially going to go all the way up the wall, but after some advice from some friends, I decided against it.

I'm also pretty proud to say that I didn't use a stencil for this. Instead, I measured the wall, and then divided it up into three equal sections. My wall was 51 inches long, so each section was 17 inches. I then drew a line up the wall at the center of each section where I knew the top of the chevron pattern would be. I did this for each section, and then basically played a game of connect the dots with a ruler to create the pattern. I made the fuchsia stripes 2 inches wide, and the yellow stripes 5 inches.


After I painted the first few stripes, I thought about doing a subtle ombré effect because I really liked the look of only a couple of coats of paint (the bottom stripes had 4!). I figured if I didn't like it, I could always make the top stripes darker. But I really like it! It adds just the pop of color that I was looking for.


 The ombré effect is subtle enough that it's almost not noticeable, and I think I like it better that way. 


Next on Making A House A Home: that TV stand you see!

4 comments:

  1. MichelleCarter7/18/12, 9:27 AM

    You're doing good to be completing so much work around your home after moving in so recently. We go through spells where we work really hard on a project, then it sits for months as we look for just the right fabric or wait for extra funds to finish it. At the moment we have three almost finished projects waiting for some last little thing, like a shelf or buttons, etc. your living room looks very inviting and the paint effect is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassy Dominick7/18/12, 11:13 AM

    That looks fantastic! What a great idea. Perfect accent to the room. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. JenniferSadler7/18/12, 11:39 AM

    I totally understand what you mean - If I showed all the projects I've started but not finished I could blog for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JenniferSadler7/18/12, 11:39 AM

    Thanks Cassy!

    ReplyDelete