1.21.2013

A New Method

Something I'd like to try harder at doing in 2013 is trying new things when it comes to knitting. New techniques, learning new skills - this is something I preach more than I practice. Anytime anyone approaches me about being scared to learn how to knit, or trying new techniques, my response is:

"It's only knitting. What's the worst that will happen?"

And I really need to try to embrace that myself. There are things that I haven't tried for many reasons - intimidated, didn't want to take the time to learn something new - regardless, the reasons were silly. What's the worst that will happen?

So, I've taken my own advice, and plan to try a lot of new things this year. To start off, I just finished my first ever pair of toe-up socks. I think the reason I haven't tried this technique yet is just because I don't knit many socks. Now I know why I haven't been knitting many - it's because I didn't use the toe-up method. For some reason, when working socks from the top down, I always got tired after the heel and hated finishing the foot. With this method, this is no longer a problem.


I don't think I'll ever go back to knitting socks from the top down. I'm so glad I tried this method - I feel like it's saved my sock making, and has opened up a new world to me. These socks were really quick - about 5 days for the pair. I used Ella Rae classic, US 7 needles, and a basic toe-up recipe. I probably could have gone up a needle size, or increased to have more stitches, but I really like the way these stay up around my legs. I don't have to worry about them falling down, or feeling loose around my calves. I've been wearing them almost non-stop, and they still fit like a dream (although they're a bit dirty now that I took photos of them in front of the fire...).


If you haven't given toe up socks a try, I encourage you to - it's so much easier than it looks, and definitely my new favorite way to make socks. I expect to make many pairs in the future!

Here are some links that helped me:



Next new technique - two at a time on one needle!



5 comments:

  1. You were smart to make your first socks in worsted weight. It makes them go so much faster. Now that you've figured out toe up socks, it's fairly easy to "convert" top down socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since trying toe-up socks I haven't gone back either. I love being able to use up all of my yarn if I want. Welcome to the club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love how these turned out! I know what you mean about not making the time to try new techniques - I usually cast on and realize there`s something I don`t know and either keep plugging or put it down if I don`t want to make the time. Sometimes it`s worth it to remind ourselves it`s just knitting! I love that :) I`m going to use it to remind myself of the same thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also trying to learn some new techniques this year myself. Toe up socks are on my list.

    ReplyDelete